When should you see a fertility specialist?

It can be difficult for couples to determine if they are really facing infertility, or if they are experiencing a normal timeframe for achieving pregnancy. That can make it hard to know when to seek professional help.

If a man, woman or couple is in either of the following two situations, they should see a fertility specialist:

  1. You have been unable to become pregnant within 12 months of unprotected sex by couples in which the woman is younger than 35 years old and has no major medical problems.
  2. For couples in which the woman is over 35, you have been unable to become pregnant after six months of unprotected sex.

It is also advised that couples see a fertility specialist if:

  • Either partner has a history of STDs (specifically chlamydia or gonorrhea).
  • A woman has irregular or no menstruation.
  • A woman has a history of pelvic infections or previous abdominal surgeries.
  • A woman has severe pain during menstruation (which may be a symptom of endometriosis).
  • A woman has a history of three or more miscarriages.
  • A man has sexual problems, including difficulty with erection and/or ejaculation.
  • A man has had an abnormal semen analysis.

For tips on how to choose the right fertility specialist for you, please visit our web page.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *